The GBS Group completed a prime contract to design and install a modernized, Integrated Bridge System aboard a Military Sealift Command (MSC) vessel. The design includes modernized vessel navigation and communications equipment in newly designed consoles, including the Dynamic Positioning System (DPS) console, Ship Control Console (SCC), and separate Officer of the Deck Console (OOD).
The GBS team successfully programmed and integrated navigation systems, communication systems, machinery control and monitoring systems from multiple manufacturers. This resulted in an American Bureau of Shipping and US Coast Guard approved bridge, with a much more ergonomic, unified appearance of the integrated system.
Some of the equipment that was integrated included:
- Kongsberg DPS
- Furuno Radar Systems
- Hose McMann Interior Communication Systems
- NG Sperry Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) (four total ECDIS displays networked together- one in the SCC, one in the OOD console, a third as a planning station in the Navigators Chart, and one mimic mode in the Captain’s State Room)
- NG Sperry Steering Control System replacement (all rudder order and rudder angle circuits)
- NG Sperry Fiber Optic Gyro System upgrade
- Addition of a docking GPS system
- General Electric HMI display monitors for all alarms and indication on the SCC, Bridge Wings, and Pilot House overhead.
Military Sealift Command commissioned and tested their new Integrated Bridge System with success in March 2017.
Credit: MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. Thier mission is timeless and essential. Regardless of the challenge, MSC prevails! Working seamlessly with key partners to master the maritime and cyber domains, MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, under any condition, 24/7, 365 days a year.
The GBS Group is a Virginia Values Veterans (V3) certified company that specializes in engineering design, software and integration services for trains, ships, buildings, and homes. GBS designs control and automation systems, builds custom software for wi-fi and health monitoring systems, performs maintenance and reliability engineering, and delivers end to end solutions for agencies and companies like Military Sealift Command. GBS has dedicated over a decade to resolve the hardest problems that our customers face and continue to find innovative solutions.
For more information about Integrated Bridge Systems contact Seth Heinrich, VP of Maritime, Controls, and Automation, at (757) 965-4274.